Saturday, June 19, 2010

"My Fadda"

"Hey is my fadda ova dare?" I don't know how to get the Rhode Island accent through typing, but that is what I say when I call my parents and my dad answers. All my life my parents taught me to never drop my "R"s when speaking (this is a dialect in RI), yet it has become a joke between my dad and I to overemphasize the accent when we call each other. Now you know what the first thing I will say when I call my dad today.

Today is my dad’s 41st Father’s Day. How can I remember that? It is quite easy, I am 41. I am his oldest child and I was born on his 30th birthday. I know I am lousy at remembering people’s birthdays and anniversaries but my dad lucked out – his I can always remember. I may be late getting the card in the mail but it's not because I forgot his birthday/holiday, just forget to make it to the post office. By the way dad....it's in the mail :)

I could not ask for a better father. If I had to choose the most prominent characteristic about my dad, it would be that he is VERY positive. My dad sends me (and many other people) an email every day. This is my “Motivational Moment” for the day. Sometimes I just glance at them and sometimes I read and reread his email throughout the day. It all depends on the day that I’m having. He brings positive into my life in more than just email. He is a good listener and when I need to vent so I can move on with something in my life, he listens and always finds a positive when I can’t seem to find it.

I love my dad's sense of humor. It goes along with the being positive. It is so much easier to stay happy and positive in life when you can find something to make you laugh. All I can think of at the moment is the "flippin poon". My dad and I laughed about this comedian who was on the Merv Griffin show over 20 years ago. A grown man in a diaper and he said something about the "flippin poon". I know none of you will understand the humor of it, my dad will. Sometimes his sense of humor can be embarrassing (in a good way). I remember when my dad and I both worked at Banner Oldsmobile. My parents and I went on a double date to the company dinner. My date was Julien Goulet, Ohh he was so cute! Anyways, we were sitting at the dinner table when a song came on that my dad liked. He asked my mom to dance and he escorted her to the dance floor. So what's the embarrassing part? When he escorted my mom to the dance floor, not arm in arm or holding hands, he grabbed her by the butt and walked the entire way to the dance floor like that. Sooo embarrassing. It's a good thing that Julien has a good sense of humor too! It was fun to watch my parents dance, it always is. There is no hiding the fact that they love each other.

I am grateful for my dad and the love he showed my mother and my brothers and sister and I. I appreciate the values of hard work, integrity, love, generosity, humor and family which he instilled in me. He claims that it is my mom's fault that we kids came out "so good". I think he underestimates his influence on our lives. But that is another one of his endearing characteristics, he is humble. It is a trait which also helps him to be so forgiving and accepting. I don't think there is anyone in this world who is a stranger to him. He accepts people for who or what they are.

My father is the second greatest man here on earth, but it is an extremely close second - to my husband. Sometimes I think my dad likes Jeff more than me so I know he will understand why he is second, only to Jeff. My dad had a great influence on why I love my husband. People say that women marry men that remind them of their father. I didn't think it at the time I got married, but I can see it now. I did marry someone like my dad. It's a good thing, now I know the happiness my mom has had for the past 43 years!

I think the best way to end this blog about my dad is to post a quote that he put on Facebook the other day (I forgot to mention-he is turning into a computer geek as he gets older). Anyways, here is the quote:

"It should have great meaning that of all the titles of respect and honor and admiration that could be given him, that God himself, he who is the highest of all, chose to be addressed simply as 'Father'" A. Theodore Tuttle

Happy Father's Day Dad!