I have been blessed to know many different men who have held a role of “father” in their lives. I have a great deal of respect for those men who understand just how important their influence is on children. They don’t have to be a “birth” father to a child; they can also be a step-father, grandfather, adoptive father, brother-in-law, uncle, church leader, school teacher, etc. The ability to be a “father” requires at least two people; that of a man willing to be a father figure and also of a child who is willing to have a father figure in their life. As in any other relationship between two people, it requires the love and acceptance of each person for the other.
There is one “father” that is particularly special to me. I want him to know that his efforts have not gone unnoticed. This is a man who will take the time to teach a child how to fix a bike, will take the time for middle of the night blessings/talks with a child, will take the time to pray and worship with a child, will enjoy singing with a child, will take the hard road of teaching responsibility to a child, will give hugs to a child, will discipline a child and reprove with love, will care for a sick child, will cry for and do what they can to help when a child is hurt, and will accept a child even when others may not understand why. This person does this not for one child but for many children. The things I just mentioned help to develop a relationship with those children who allow him to have that relationship with him, for this they will be blessed. This person may not reap all of the rewards for his actions in this lifetime but I am sure that God is watching what this man is doing and rejoicing in his efforts and understands the challenges which face him. I have heard the saying several times “what you do when no one is watching defines who your truly are”. The thing is, there is always someone watching, it may only be God but there is always someone.
Those little things which I believe a” father “should do have eternal blessings in the lives of children. Some people believe that buying cars and gadgets is what a father should be doing. The gadgets and cars will not go with us when we pass. The greatest inheritance any “father” can leave for a child is what he gives of himself personally, that is eternal. I stumbled across a video (here is the link: https://beta.lds.org/youth/mormon-messages/video/fathers-and-sons?locale=eng) yesterday which was about fathers and relationships with fathers. I think the message is appropriate for any parent/child relationship or any person that you want to get to develop a relationship with. It reminded me of sitting with my father and talking about things in his life and why he is who he is.
Thank you to all the men out there who have a “father” role and strive to enrich a child’s life. I want to wish every “father” a very happy Father’s Day!